It’s another beautiful but rainy day here in Western Washington and on days like this our family likes to spice things up a notch with an easy comfort curry. We love this over quinoa but brown rice makes a nice complement as well! My kids like to scoop this out of their bowls with a few tortilla chips. This serves 6-8 depending on if you have any growing teenage boys in your household! Enjoy.
Lisa’s Lazy Black Bean Curry
2 (15oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed.
2 TB olive or grape seed oil
2 tsp whole cumin seeds
2 cups favorite onion, diced (yes I use a lot-its good for you!)
2 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced or 3/4 tsp dried
1 1/2 cups fresh or canned tomatoes and their juices, diced
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
3/4 tsp sea salt
3 cups filtered water
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp fresh lemon or lime juice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Enough quinoa or brown rice to suit families needs
1. Heat oil over medium heat (I use large soup pot). Add cumin seed and cook until seeds turn a golden brown, (about 30 seconds.) Add diced onion and saute until translucent (3-5 minutes.) Add in minced ginger and tomatoes with their juices. Stir to mix. Cover and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Remove lid and mash any large tomato chunks with back of wooden spoon or potato masher.
2. Add turmeric, ground coriander, and cayenne. Stir to coat. Add in rinsed black beans and stir again.
3. Add salt and water to pot, bringing mixture to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered. You can mash a few black beans against the sides/bottom of pot if you wish.
4. Add in garam masala and lemon or lime juice.
5. Transfer curry over bowls of warm quinoa or brown basmati rice. Top with chopped cilantro.